"The Mental Fitness Center"
"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
- Albert Schweitzer
"I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve."
- Albert Schweitzer
"The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
- Thomas S. Szasz
"Unhappiness is best defined as the difference between our talents and our expectations."
- Edward De Bono
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
- Helen Keller
"Many people have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."
- Helen Keller
Home | Contact | About | Site Map | Relaxation | Articles
7 Steps to Gaining More Confidence
If there were one secret to instantly making your life happier and more productive, it's self confidence. It's the golden key that'll unlock the door of your potential. Without it the door will stay shut and locked forever.
No one wants that!
Below are 7 steps that will help you gain more self confidence. Along the way, you'll be faced with doubts and plenty of "Buts...." and "Ifs...." When they come up, recognize them as the "potential" thiefs that they are and FORCE them out of your mind. Negativity will only rob you of your hopes and dreams. When you entertain its thoughts, you're allowing it to do its job. Take your first 7 steps today and walk with them everyday hereafter:
1. When self-doubting, negative thoughts enter your mind, replace them with positive ones. Remember in school when you learned to conjugate verbs? RUN became RUNNING and RAN, etc. I want you to start "conjugating" your thoughts. I'M A LOSER becomes I'M A WINNER, I WISH I WERE SMARTER becomes I'M SMART AND GETTING SMARTER EVERYDAY, etc! Pushing the thoughts out of the way isn't quite enough, you have to turn them into something positive. It won't take long before your mind catches on and stops creating them in the first place.
2. If there is something that you feel insecure or self-conscious about, ask yourself if there's anything you can do about it. If there is, don't let the sun go down on another day before you start tackling it. No matter what it is, if you can reach it's cure - do so. You'll not only get rid of that particular demon, you'll gain so much power and confidence from being the victor, that'll you'll be ready to face the next one.
3. Never, ever, ever compare yourself to anyone else or measure your worth against theirs. Only measure yourself against your best. Don't ask yourself if you did a certain task as well as so and so, ask yourself if you did the best you could. THEY don't factor into the equation, you do.
4. You don't expect anyone else to be perfect, stop expecting yourself to be! Find your faults and either fix them or make peace with them. A lot of so-called faults are actually assets. Always remember Mona Lisa. She had a crooked smile, yet hers was and is arguably the most fascinating smile in the world.
5. If there is someone in your life who causes you to feel insecure or inferior, talk to them about it. If they're worth your time, they'll stop causing you to feel this way. If they aren't worth your time, they'll get defensive. They'll try to "take the high road", and that's exactly what you should let them do - as long as the high road is headed in the other direction! Friends don't knock you down, they lift you up.
6. Think about your assets and strengths. Start today acknowledging them! If you have a killer sense of humor, start making a point of sharing it more often. Take what works for you and work it.
7. Don't think that low self confidence is something that reading this article through will fix. Self confidence is something that must be faced each day. You have to go over these 7 steps, not only daily, but sometimes several times a day. You'll soon recognize the negative, "potential" robbers for what they are - whether they're other people, deragatory thoughts, or unrealistic expectations.
Have you ever watched a makeover show? At the end, the person who was "made over" doesn't really look all that different physically - but they have a different presence about them. They hold their head higher, they smile, they even twirl in front of the mirror! The change has taken place, and 95% of it occured in their own minds.
It's always the same thing, they weren't appreciating or accentuating their assets enough, they were being weighed down with negative thoughts about perceived "flaws" and weren't doing enough to rid themselves of actual "flaws". All the hairdressers, wardrobe department, and make-up artists do is show them what was there all along - underneath the insecurities and behind the doubts.
Your best is right there, as well, and we want very much for you to find it and flaunt it!
About The Author:
Feel free to use the above article on your own website or blog. All we ask is that you leave the paragraph below intact and the links active. Thanks!
The Mental Fitness Center and Out of Bounds are devoted to helping our visitors get the best that life has to offer. Life is what you make it and we want to help you with your masterpiece!
We would love to hear your thoughts about this, or any other, article. E-mail us any time:
THE MENTAL FITNESS CENTER RECOMMENDS MINDZOOM!
Remove bad habits, learn 5x faster, eliminate panic attacks and fears, improve your social skills, achieve your goals, help your body heal, discharge stress, and enjoy your life!
©2008 TheMental FitnessCenter