Your mom was right (again). You should be eating your fruits, vegetables, and wearing clean underwear. But let’s focus on the veggies for now. They’re excellent for you, head to toe, and it turns out they’re very important for your brain’s health.
Do you think you’re eating enough vegetables for your brain’s health? You may be surprised… grab a couple of carrots and read on.
A new study shows that people who eat 3 servings or more of vegetables daily have a slower rate of cognitive decline as they grow older. There are plenty of things we can do to lessen our odds of getting dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, or memory loss. You’ve read about many of them here on Out of Bounds.
Eating vegetables is a delicious addition to the preventative list, so make a point of working more vegetables into your daily routine. Below are a few tips to get you started.
- Don’t just make a sandwich – make a healthy Dagwood sandwich. Add spinach or dark leafy lettuce, red onion, red peppers, and even cucumbers. The extra crunch makes the sandwich funner as well as tastier and healthier.
- Make salads and/or vegetable soup a frequent guest at lunch. When having a salad, don’t stop at lettuce and tomatoes. The more vegetables you pack in, the more servings you’re getting.
- When it comes to noshing during football, baseball, soccer, or basketball games (we all do it, after all) – try trays of fresh baby vegetables. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and watch them disappear. If you MUST, have a little ranch dressing for dipping. I won’t tell anyone.
- Fill omelets or scrambled eggs with red and green peppers, red or green onions, tomatoes, broccoli (trust me, broccoli and eggs are outstanding together), asparagus, chopped spinach, etc. Up the veggies, up the servings.
- Steamed baby carrots with a little butter and honey are never anything but delectable.
- Keep chopped vegetables in a container in the refrigerator for when the munchies hit.
Here’s a link to a delicious roasted cauliflower recipe. It’s Bob Blumer’s Popcorn Cauliflower and you won’t feel anything less than mad love for it.