We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Links to books are "affiliate links," meaning I earn a small percentage when you click through and buy the book. This costs you absolutely nothing extra but helps me keep my cats in the lifestyle they're accustomed to!
It’s perfectly normal to feel “kind of down” from time to time. My dad used to sum it up by saying, “Nothing suits me today.” It’s the times when, on our radio of life, we just can’t dial in the station W-HAPPY. Fortunately, there are some ways we can help the reception – and thereby help ourselves tune into the channel we’re after. If we do nothing, and sort of just wallow in the misery, we might just stay on W-CRANKY for days!
Not worth the risk. Below are some mood boosters that have stood the test of time. The next time “nothing suits you,” try them out. What would you have to lose, except the droops?!
- Go to a ballgame. It doesn’t have to be a pro game, although that’s a lot of fun waiting to be had! It could be a college, “frontier league” , or even a high school game. The excitement and energy will lift your spirits, probably even before the game begins.
- Break your tasks down into individual, bite-sized portions. Don’t look at the whole picture – take everything one at a time and whittle away. It helps me to write things down, putting a gratifying check mark in front of each thing as I go along.
- If possible, try to be around at least one other person. If you’re by yourself, your mind will just wander – and when you’re feeling kind of down to begin with, the wandering will probably just take you down further. Many times, the other person will lift your spirits…..and depending upon the person, they may just be so entertaining that you’re soon on top of the world rather than sliding underneath it!
- A little bit of exercise goes a long way. Releasing endorphins brings about a good feeling that will stick around for a while.
- Don’t underestimate “comfort food.” Whether it’s a cup of coffee, a bowl of ice cream or some chocolate pudding – very often just a little treat will point you in the right direction.
- Don’t expect to feel better immediately, and don’t kick yourself for not feeling 100 percent joyous. Tomorrow’s another day, and you’ll probably feel (and the world will probably look) much better.
Have a wonderful weekend – hope it’s beautiful where you are. Our weather here in Western Kentucky needs a mood lifter!
Make each moment count double,